So here we are, ready to enter a brand spanking new year.
The year two thousand and seventeen.
It wil be my 39th year on this here planet.
I am a New Years Grinch.
If you take the passion with which I love Christmas I loathe New Year with that very same passion.
I hate the big deal made about a New Years Eve night out, buying a new outfit, over priced entry into crowded pubs and twice the price taxis home.
I don’t think so.
Then there’s the anticipation. At the stroke of midnight we will suddenly become non smoking/drinking/binge eating individuals….Well maybe not at the STROKE of midnight, when we wake up….well maybe not when we wake up as there is that work thing on Wednesday so maybe on the 10th….or March…
We actually just wake up being our very same selves as we went to bed. It’s all terribly disappointing.
Our New Years Eve will be spent drinking wine, eating food and playing games with the besties. Parfait!
I’m not one really for making resolutions per se, I am more of a ‘make a change it when it needs changing’ kind of a girl.
If I feel I need to drink less or exercise more I don’t make a resolution on the 1st of January, I just make it right there and then, even if it’s June.
Please don’t think me all self righteous though, I still break these non resolutions as soon as I make them. I spend my life needing to drink less, eat less and exercise more. It would take more than a resolution to fix me – therapy would probably be the better answer!
Anyway, setting aside my general mardy arseness I decided to take a little look back on 2016 to see how I fared in auld lang syne…
- I started my blog. This one right here that you’re reading. It’s nearly a year old.
- I climbed a mountain.
- I did a 5k run.
- I kept 2 children alive.
- I lost a lot of arguments with my children.
- I watched EVERY episode of Pretty Little Liars AND Real Housewives of New York. I know, right!?
- I had some fantastic holidays and days out with my family.
- I gained a LOT of weight.
The last one isn’t something I am pleased about but it definitely happened! Wow, 2016 looks terribly lame! Still, 2017 is currently a book of blank pages so I can make some changes…
I may not make resolutions but I do have a 2017 to do list.
- Keep the children alive some more and maybe ‘grow’ them into good people.
- Take more time to enjoy Rory & the children.
- Not sweat the small stuff.
- Be kinder to myself and try to like myself more.
- Be more confident.
- Laugh more.
- Grab life by the balls and try to make our dreams a reality.
- Do something that challenges me, I was going to do Total Warrior but I’ve not been able to get any training done so it won’t happen this year.
- Take over the WHOLE world with my blog. THE WHOLE WORLD.
If I achieve just one thing on my list I’ll be pleased with myself!
What’s on your 2017 to do list?
Whether you’re looking forward to fireworks, first footing and midnight kisses or board games, sedate conversation and a early night I wish you a very happy and prosperous new year.
Make 2017 be the year you want it to be.